Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Angela Christine Jacobs (Name)

Angela isn't that random of a name but it is also not very popular. I've heard my name a couple of times growing up but not a lot. My parents were thinking of names for me but they could not agree on one thing. My mom wanted my name to be Anchoni and my dad wanted some other random name.

One day my parents were thinking of names and my oldest brother happened to be in the room with them. My brother met my mom's friend one time and remembered her name for some reason. He chimed in and said, "What about Angela?" My parents obviously liked it because that is what my name is. I had a lot of nick-names growing up. My dad called me Angie-bean and my mom called me Angel. Now that I’m all grown up, people call me Ang or Angie.

My middle name came from my aunt. Her middle name is Christine. My dad's side of the family wanted to continue that name. Since I was the first girl born on that side of the family, my mom and dad decided to give it to me.

Jacobs is an old English name that goes way back. I know a lot of people with that last name but I am not related to any of them. My great great grandfather John and his wife Teofila came over to America in the early 1900's from Poland. Their son Joseph married my great grandmother, Marie. They had all their kids living in the same house with them. My great great grandma Teofila was such a witch that my great grandpa couldn't take it and moved away. He joined the army and went off to World War I. While he was there he thought it was hard for people to pronounce Jakubowski, that was our real last name; so he decided to shorten it to Jacobs.

The name kind of stuck with him so he kept it after he got out of the military. My great grandpa never legally changed it but because he was a general in the army and the fact that it wasn't hard to change your name back then, he kept it. My great grandpa changed it for a couple other reasons as well. When he joined the army he thought people might be prejudice against foreigners in the military. So that was another reason to change it, to protect him, his family, and his polish pride. After he got out of the war he had my grandpa (Leonard Jacobs) who proceeded to have my dad (Andrew Jacobs). Andrew met his wife Robbie Zaga and they had a daughter named Angela Jacobs. Jacobs was passed down from generation to generation all the way down to me, but I will not be the last.

Out of all three of my names I like my last name the best. I have met a couple Angela's before and I haven't liked them very much. They kind of ruined the name for me. My parents wanted to name me Michael if I was going to be a boy. I have no idea why but I’m kind of glad I am a girl. My cousin's name is Michael so I guess it all worked out for the better. My middle name Christine is all right. I like the fact that it was my aunt's middle name, but it kind of reminds me of a good little school girl. I guess the name was just meant to be in the family. I love my last name. No one can ever take you away from your last name. I was a little upset when I found out my great grandpa changed it because how cool and random of a name is Jakubowski. Sometimes I wish our last name was still Jakubowski because I love that name. I hate when I meet other people with the last name Jacobs because we our not related at all; we just have the same last name. It's always awkward too. In the end though, I guess it doesn’t matter because I grew up with Jacobs and that's all I've ever known.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home